[MUD-Dev] Text Parsers

Darren Henderson darren at nighttide.net
Thu Dec 14 09:27:45 CET 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

> Any recommendations?  Doesn't have to be a natural-language parser,
> but something (preferably cheap/free/open-source) that is relatively
> easy to implement and extend for a text-based RPG framework.  Could
> code it from scratch, but if something's available I'd prefer to
> spend my time extending the framework rather than reinventing the
> wheel...

What kind of parsing are you looking for? At the simplest level you
can break an input line on spaces and do with the pieces as you
would. Or do you want something more complex?

mudos, (http://www.mudos.org/), has text parsing, ("get the third
green ball from the purple sack") capabilities built in.  Can't really
speak to the ease of implementation as it seems to generate a verbose
style of interaction; which I personally don't care for. It doesn't
look to be overly difficult however if you are comfortable with lpc
code bases. It does require the objects being manipulated to have
interface code, which isnt as nasty as it might seem since you can
take advantage of inheritance etc.

Its essentially infinitely extendable.

Darren Henderson                                  darren at nighttide.net

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/