[MUD-Dev] Permadeath or Not?

J. Eric Townsend jet at well.com
Thu Dec 14 11:43:24 CET 2000

"Jeff" == Jeff Freeman <skeptack at antisocial.com> writes:

Jeff> I object to the claim (again) that the way players play EQ, is
Jeff> the players' fault.  It just isn't.

Jeff> Scenario:

Jeff> Here's a zone with bears and wolves wandering around in it.  You
Jeff> want players to wander around in it hunting for bears and
Jeff> wolves.  But you put a freakishly HARD mob (or two, or three)
Jeff> out there in the zone wandering around with the bears and the
Jeff> wolves.

That's it in a nutshell.

It's not a zone of bears and wolves and maybe a couple of really
strong bears or wolfs that you might have a chance of at least running
away from.

I'm going to show my ignorance here (I've never designed a zone or
level, and my pencil-and-paper days were a decade ago) and ask why on
earth anyone would put together such a zone/dungeon/level?

If the uber-mob is generally friendly, perhaps it isn't a problem.
But why on Earth would you have a hostile uber-MOB wandering around
that can whack anyone without them even having a chance of running
away?

--
jet at well.com -- J. Eric Townsend -- <http://www.spies.com/jet>