[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Tue Dec 19 16:31:56 CET 2000

According to McQuaid, Brad:

> I guess you'd have to be more specific Lee.  The majority of our
> quests DO tell stories AND are 'FedEx'.  Interesting that you point

I am considered by my game guild to be somewhat the "expert" on
Norrathian matters (people were all surprised while staying in
Dalnir's crypt about my stories from the Haggle Baron, and the Kly
slaves, and all that. Which about no one except me knew about).

> out that we might not know how do make a quest more sophisticated
> than 'FedEx'... has ANYONE figured this out yet?  Has any game,
> multiplayer

There is ONE such quest (to the best of my knowledge) in EQ.

I'm referring, of course, to the Cheslin quest. For those who don't
know, Cheslin, son of Chesguard, a paladin of Qeynos, has been
promoted to the watch over Qeynos Hills, and Chesguard is a little
worried. Seems Cheslin is playing the Norrathian version of Magic the
Gathering a little bit too much (hm, btw, did Hasbro liquidate the
staff of the Norrath subsidiary too? :) ) and is living in a fantasy
world, having a very inflated ego. And could you just make sure
nothing untoward happens to him?

Ok, down to the nitty gritty details. Cheslin is a level 2 guard
(which is woefully understrength in the QHills environment). Your
mission, should you accept it, is in fact to protect him during his
patrol which crosses the entire QHills length and back. As a guard, he
attacks everything on sight, but being level 2, he dies usually
quickly unless you're there to assist him in the attacks.

During the trip, Cheslin drops 4 items (his rare game cards). Give
them back, which proves you protected Cheslin during his entire trip,
and go collect the reward.

If you want to be nitpicking, it's still the same mechanism, which is
tied deep into the core code: find the correct tokens, get reward.

But that's the only one I know which breaks out of the mold.

(for some reason, I always hoped it would be the start of the paladin
holy weapon quest. Sounded like a perfect start for me: a least a
quest that involved really HELPING someone).

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!