[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 27 03:02:12 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Crawford" <myrddin at seventh.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2000 1:25 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

> Hmm.
>
> Ok, so this would accomplish an objective of having a players skills
> go "stale" if they don't use them. It also curtails repetitive
> spamming of a skill, but I can envision people spamming their skills
> right before a fight to make sure their skill level is maxed.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you have basically
> two ratings for a skill.. knowledge and actual skill level. According
> to you, the knowledge of the skill determines the "pool" size, I would
> call it the skill pool. Keeping the skill pool full allows you to use
> the full potential of your knowledge of the skill.

<Snip>

Err, I believe that what they did was similar to the way GS3 experience
worked.  You could only get so much "raw" experience before your mind got
fried (i.e. couldn't learn anymore till you rested and absorbed the "raw"
experience into "real" experience used for leveling).  If you died, you lost
anything not absorbed into real exp (and some that had in some cases,
depending on the resurrection).

Think of it as a funnel.  Killing a mob poured some exp into the funnel.
The funnel only allows so much through at a time, but is constantly dripping
any exp in it into your permanent exp storage.
Killing more mobs adds to the amount in the funnel, until it over flows.
Any over flow is lost.
They had (have? Been a long time since I played GS3) various labels
depending on how full the funnel was, from "clear as a bell" to "your brain
is fried" (or something along those lines).  They may have had modifiers in
place so that you were more successful at attempting skill use when you're
mind was clear, and more difficulty doing the same skill use if your mind
was "fried" (this is merely speculation on this part)

Basically, all this does is slow down the rate of gaining exp, and maybe
promotes some socializing during rest periods, or at least promotes rest
periods so you could absorb the exp.

Batir
Batir at stratics.com
Batir at frontiernet.net