[MUD-Dev] Must infrastructure dictate content? (was: Forks or Frameworks)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Dec 29 01:18:39 CET 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Gavin Doughtie wrote:

> From the nature of the traffic in response to my original "Forks or
> Frameworks" post, it seems like many of you do indeed see the
> mechanics of a MUD codebase as inseperable from its content.

It depends on what you are talking about, mechanics-wise. If you're
talking about how it handles network connections, then it's completely
seperate. However, if you're talking about _anything_ to do with game
logic (such as how mobiles behave) then you've just linked the
mechanics with the content to some extent.

And, unfortunately, while most content should be completely seperate
from mechanics, most MUDs just copy content from other sources,
leading to, at the least, a very strong incidental link between the
mechanics of stock codebases and the content of stock muds.

--matt