[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Sat Dec 30 08:49:54 CET 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q4/msg00626.php

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:03:55 -0800 (PST)
"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> The way I see all tasks working out is that the game must engage the
> player for the duration of the task, meaning that tasks must be
> broken down into a series of steps.  Not arbitrarily, but in such a
> way that the player is making strategic decisions about the result.
> This is

Right. Additionally, it should also involve cost and danger
appropriate to the level of reward. In most games, combat is very
important--so learning it should involve risk. Forging weapons is
generally not as critical, but can be financially rewarding, and
should require some appropriate materials cost. If players have to
worry about making efficient use of their materials, they're not going
to be able to simply sit there and spam "forge sword" commands over
and over.