[MUD-Dev] Forks or Frameworks?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 22:33:52 CET 2000

On Saturday, December 30, 2000, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> Let's not forget the product that could revolutionize the friendly
>> D&D session between friends: Neverwinter Nights.

> I know this isn't going to make me popular, but my guess is that NWN
> is going to suffer from a *severe* case of "Stock MUD Syndrome".
> Too much of the rulebase is untouchable, and the Solistice Toolkit
> is a *closed* toolset, which will put sharp limits on what can be
> done with it.

> My guess is that the majority of "worlds" will be minor variations
> on the standard, and 2-5 projects that create a themed alternative
> will exist, but be either extremely exclusive or extremely
> fragmented.

My own guess is that most "worlds" won't be "worlds" in the mud sense.
I don't think this is really meant for trying to create a mud (or,
since it's graphical, MMORPG)-type environment.  The "hosting"
capability is meant more for the equivalent of DMing a paper "module",
where you have a very limited number of players, a very limited
"world", and the server is only accessible at pre-arranged times.

Someone *could* try to use it as a server for an MMORPG, but I don't
think it's going to work well for that.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>