[MUD-Dev] Semi-OT: Linux support in commercial MUDs?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Feb 8 10:38:26 CET 2000

On Sat, 05 Feb 2000 05:40:01 -0800
Bruce  <bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>> I wonder how the a MUD populated with Unix/Linux users differs
>> from the same MUD populated with Windows users. Maybe it would be
>> advantageous to do the alphatesting with a Linux only version?

> I'll leave this to someone else.

It could have a significant impact, tho I doubt whether the quality
of that impact is fully understood.  Having beta tested other
products, and run the beta tests for my own products, I know well
that the culture of the beta audience can have an enourmous impact
on what is reported, what is considered significant by your testers,
and how and if they present that data to back to the vendor.

My early MUD experiences were in England with predominantly English
player bases (some Eastern European).  Further, local structures and
cultural conditions, like the fact that all phone calls (encluding
local) were toll calls, the British tradition of the professional
"amateur", etc etc etc made for a very different experience than I
would have had with the same systems in the US.  There are some
threads in the archives with Jeff Kesslemen on this are for those
interested.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu