[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: List post rejections

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Feb 14 09:15:16 CET 2000

Writing as list owner:

  There is a problem with the list server: Rejected messages are not
being sent back to their posters along with th reasons for their
rejection.  This appears to be a peculiarity to MUD-Dev as they work
fine for the other lists running under the same server.

  For those of you that don't know: This list is moderated.  What
that means is that every list post is held for my approval before
being sent forward and broadcast to all the members of the list.  It
is an expensive method (in terms of my time) of ensuring that the
signal to noise ratio remains high.

  The basic criteria for messages to match before I let them through
are listed on the list's page at:

  The most common reasons for me refusing posts enclude:

    -- No or incompleat/partial attributions for quoted material

    -- New text at the top of the message with the entire prior
       message quoted below

    -- Advertising appended to the mesasge by your email service
       (please post from an address that doesn't append
       advertising).

  If you have sent a message to the list recently and not seen it
posted, and not received a reason as to why, I apologise.  I'm
working to fix the problem now, but it is not as simple as I would
like.

  A warning: It is possible (likely actually) that to fully fix the
problem I'm going to have to recreate the list from scratch.  This
may mean that some account configurations (NOMAIL, DIGESTS, etc) may
be lost or misset in the transition.  For those that know MailMana
and Python, it appears that the list's config.db, which is a pickled
Python class, is corrupt.

  I'll report back here when things are back to normal.  ITMT most
rejections will be silent (sorry).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu