[MUD-Dev] distributed objects

Koster Koster
Tue Feb 15 09:16:13 CET 2000

And keep in mind that we went into it being extremely paranoid in the first
place! We weren't being naive and assuming that everything would be
hunky-dory. I'd classify the sorts of stuff we saw in chronological order
as:

- data hacks. Alter the client-side art files and the like in order to make
targeting easier. A good example would be replacing all the walls with
outlines. This doesn't even touch the server.
- memory mods. This would be changing stuff in memory. We had virtually
nothing of any consequence here.
- sniffers. Try to get more info out of the data stream than what the client
ordinarily displays (this is what ShowEQ does)
- wedges. Creatively alter the data stream by filtering packets or
manufacturing packets. A good example in UO was another display hack--they
simply threw away the light level change packets arriving and replaced them
with full bright. Presto, no darkness in dungeons.

Also, we speak of a "utility phase" 8-9 months after launch. This is what
happened with UO, with M59, and with EQ: nice GUI hack and cheat programs
exactly 8-9 months after launch in all three cases. In M59's case it was
PKK; UO had UOE and many others.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu