[MUD-Dev] distributed objects

Eli Stevens {Grey} ens017 at mizzou.edu
Tue Feb 15 12:41:55 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag at ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] distributed objects

> I guess this is rather obvious, but one should note that in these kind
> of subcultures the challenge provides the reward.  That is: the respect
> of your peers.  I suppose it is the same social mechanisms that you
> could see in cracked games (removal of copy protection) in the 1980s.
> For instance if a product with heavy duty protection was first partially
> cracked by one group then it some weeks later would be fully cracked
> with cheats added by a rivalling group accompanied with ridicule of the
> "lameness" of the first group...
>
> Game designers, why do they dislike meta-games? :^)

While I cannot call myself a game designer, I would suspect the reason lies
in the diffculty level.  Cracking a game is usually (I would hope ;) harder
than playing the game, so those who are looking for the most challenge are
drawn to cracking it.  For those who want the recognition, since cracking
the game is harder than playing, it "warrants" more distinction than playing
exceptionally well (as you stated above).

It brings up an interesting question: what happens when the meta-game is
harder than cracking the game (even when you have cracked the game and are
"cheating")?  The game designer almost says, "Cheat all you want, you still
cannot win."  What would happen then?  Is such a system possible?

*ponders*

Silence is golden
Eli - mailto:ens017 at mizzou.edu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu