[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Sellers Sellers
Tue Feb 15 15:46:52 CET 2000

David Bennett wrote:
> Muds (and games in general) are always going to be a low paid field, so in
> general the people that end up in this sort of field are people starting
> out thinking it will be fun.  Or people who cannot get employed elsewhere
> :)  Although there are a few fanatics that stick with it.

I disagree, partly.  MUDs will split increasingly I think into two main
categories: hobbyist/labor-of-love games for which there is essentially no
pay; and professional, well-backed games for which there is adequate pay.
Increasingly, game industry salaries (including those for MMPOGs) are
approaching parity with the rest of the software industry.  (Of course there
will still be low-paying jobs in the no-mans-land of startup commercial
MUDs, but I think they're going to have a more difficult time staying afloat
as time goes on.)

Mike Sellers

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu