[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Tue Feb 15 15:56:13 CET 2000

On 2/15/00, at 3:54 PM, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>I disagree. If a free MUD sucks, nobody's out anything. If a commercial
>MUD sucks, people are out lots of money. That's a pretty powerful
>incentive for the commercial MUD not to suck. They put in more effort in
>selecting the right people, not just whoever's willing to do the job;
>they have actual priorities and standards and source control; and their
>staff have to meet certain professional standards of conduct. On a free
>MUD, there tends to be a general attitude of "hey, it's free, asswipe".

True, but most of the people running the sort of muds that people complain
about...  Would do similar things if they were making people pay for access
or not.  Mathew was arguing that having lots of small paint-by-numbers
commercial muds would be better than the same free muds.  I was just
pointing out why I disagreed with that conclusion :)  Or at least think
that it doesn't matter either way.  The people that put up paint-by-numbers
things are not going to make anything interesting, if they are making
people pay to play or not.

Good luck!
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu