[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Tue Feb 15 16:41:35 CET 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, David Bennett wrote:

> On 2/15/00, at 3:54 PM, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>
> >I disagree. If a free MUD sucks, nobody's out anything. If a commercial
> >MUD sucks, people are out lots of money. That's a pretty powerful
> >incentive for the commercial MUD not to suck. They put in more effort in
> >selecting the right people, not just whoever's willing to do the job;
> >they have actual priorities and standards and source control; and their
> >staff have to meet certain professional standards of conduct. On a free
> >MUD, there tends to be a general attitude of "hey, it's free, asswipe".
>
> True, but most of the people running the sort of muds that people complain
> about...  Would do similar things if they were making people pay for access
> or not.  Mathew was arguing that having lots of small paint-by-numbers
> commercial muds would be better than the same free muds.  I was just
> pointing out why I disagreed with that conclusion :)  Or at least think
> that it doesn't matter either way.  The people that put up paint-by-numbers
> things are not going to make anything interesting, if they are making
> people pay to play or not.

No I wasn't. I was arguing that those who wanted to make a commercial mud
starting from a paint-by-numbers base would have to improve and change it
immensely if they wanted to make any money (and because there are inherent
costs in running a commercial operation, if you're bringing in no revenue,
you are losing money).

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu