commercial muds and cable TV (was RE: [MUD-Dev] code base inq uiry )

Koster Koster
Wed Feb 16 11:41:29 CET 2000

[snip]
> I know this sort of model is absolutely not scalable to the
> size of large
> commercial graphical muds, but it _is_ viable for small niche
> text muds at
> least.

Doesn't sound anathema to me... Actually, it sounds to me very like the
model that Simutronics has used for many years, and they had a pretty good
sized playerbase. Of course, Simutronics had the advantage of the AOL cash
cow for a very long time. What didn't succeed was applying that business
model to larger audiences, which is all that the traditional large game
companies cared about.

I think the model that the big guys are using now is really aimed at
capturing such ridiculously huge segments of the market that ancillary
revenue and stuff becomes possible also--in other words, it's trying to move
in the direction of multiple media. Witness EQ's recent announcement of
action figures.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu