[MUD-Dev] Client side prediction

Mon Feb 21 21:58:23 CET 2000

"Koster, Raph" wrote:
>  Ola wrote:
> > Are you by "dead reckoning" suggesting implementing all the physics in
> > the client? I've spent too much time thinking about this, and I've
> > reached the conclusion that the problems that are associated with this
> > approach are too many and the benefits are too few.
>
> You should look at what games like Air Warrior and Warbirds do. There's
> well-known solutions out there for minimizing bandwidth and using dead
> reckoning. The issues you describe mostly don't apply...

You know, chosing open-space examples are not a very good idea when you
try to short-circuit a discussion. Come with some good examples where
objects bounce, are nearby and you have approx one second lag. Then
address the issues one by one.

Yes, you can obviously cripple your design so much that you only have to
send one message every ten seconds. If that is what you want?

> There's a ton of stuff that you don't need to have be synched except in
> terms of shared experience. It doesn't matter if the two observers are both
> in exact synch as long as both actually get to see the event.

That really depends. Many gameplayers in the 80's were pissed off
because collision detection wasn't pixel-perfect... Again, I want
examples where players don't get annoyed.

Ola.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu