[MUD-Dev] Distribution

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Wed Feb 23 23:54:04 CET 2000

I've been lurking on this list for quite a while.  With everyone talking
about distribution at the moment, it seems like a good time to mention
what I'm doing right now.

I'm working on a thesis, the title, at least for now, being "a distributed
persistent world using DGD".

As the title says, the DGD driver will be used.  Things will be implemented
at least far enough to show theory in practice.  I'm sure everyone on this
list is familiar with the concepts of a persistent world.

The system will be distributed as a cluster of servers.  Clients are not
part of the distribution aspect and all servers are assumed to be
controlled by the same authority.  That's a little different from the
focus of the discussion on this list lately, I guess.  Hopefully some
interesting things can be done with fault tolerance, through replication,
and/or load balancing, with migrating objects.

Currently I'm in the process of acquiring an overview of existing
research and theory.  Pointers to research papers, articles, existing
systems or anything else relevant are of course greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Geir Harald Hansen

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu