[MUD-Dev] Advancement considered harmful (long) [very short]

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 1 20:38:54 CEST 2000

On Wednesday, May 31, 2000 9:47 PM, Zak Jarvis [SMTP:zak at voidmonster.com]
wrote:
[rest snipped]
> You might have misunderstood what I was getting at here. I'm not
> interested in litigating against potential infringements of my design.
> What I'm interested in is the (usually psychological) toll creative
> systems extract from creative users.

I don't think you can avoid this.  Artistic creation comes at an
emotional cost, and the cost cannot be avoided.  When boredom or ennui
set in, leaving the game has an emotional cost - the size of that
cost is directly proportional to how much the player has invested
in the game.  I'll offer the best analogy I can think of - the best
stories, the ones remembered longest, have an emotional twist at
the end.  I still remember crying when I finished The Hobbit.
(I cried when I finished watching The Hobbit too, but that was
for entirely different reasons. :) I'm sure Tolkien spun in his
grave.)