[MUD-Dev] Thoughts about smarter Sims

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 2 00:27:08 CEST 2000

Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> This reminded me very much of an article I read recently.  After some searching, I
> was able to relocate the article.  It is entitled "A Modular Framework for
> Artificial Intelligence Based on Stimulus Response Directives," and was written by
> Charles Guy.
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991110/guy_01.htm
>
> I wondered whether or not you were familiar with the article.  I found it
> fascinating.

Among many other ACM papers on autonomous agents some unreadable by mortals,
the major inspiration for me was "Multiple Roles, Multiple Teams, Dynamic
Environment: Autonomous Nettrek Agents" - 1997 by Marcus J. Huber University of
Michigan and Ted Hadley University of California, Irvine

Thanks for that article link.  It looks quite a bit more thought out than what
I'm doing.  The Inventory_Selection part looks very interesting.  Acquiring,
learning to use, and replenishing inventory items would be a nice feature.

> Also, what happens if this.room.contains(objtype(really_cute_rat)) /*OK...this is
> hypothetical*/ and this.room.contains(objtype(hunk_of_cheese)) and rats_feed and
> rats_reproduce are at the exact same priority level?  Will this lead to a
> Capt-Kirk-like logic problem in which rats_self_destruct is initiated?  Just
> wondering.

Hehe.  My rats simply pull metaphorical coins out of their furry pockets
and flip them.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--