[MUD-Dev] coordinate systems

Kerem 'Waster_' HADIMLI waster at iname.com
Fri Jun 2 13:54:58 CEST 2000

Jon Leonard wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 05:00:58PM +1200, Richard Tew wrote:
> > Scatter wrote:
> > > Out of interest, do you model a flat world or a sphere? (And if the
> > > latter, how do you map it to cartesian coordinates?)
> >
> > I am just wondering, does anyone actually do this for their mud?
> > If so, any pointers on the simplest way to go about it?
>
> Not in a MUD (yet), but I have a small X program for wandering around on
> a sphere, with the only visible stuff being lines of an icosahedron
> inscribed in the sphere.
>
> Basically I store position as 2 3-space vectors, one for position and
> one for facing.  To move I add a vector to the current position, and
> then renormalize the vectors (so they're still on the sphere).
>
> If anyone is interested, I've just put a copy at:
> http://www.slimy.com/~jleonard/src/sphereworld.html
>
> I keep meaning to do a map system on arbitrary manifolds (world on a
> moebius strip!), but I always seem to have better things to do.
>
> > We do it flat at the moment, so if you keep sailing west, you would
> > be going out into an infinite ocean.
>
> I think that's probably easier.  You don't need floating point, and the
> usual n,s,e,w directions don't have singulatities at the poles.
>
> Jon Leonard

Yep, i think too it's best to do it flat, because when you make it a sphere
(or a cylinder, where going to noth will go to an infinite place, but
west-east will work), you areas will probably be too small for a good *world*,
and your world will be too small... For example, on faerun.com:4444, you can
walk from Shadowdale to Waterdeep, and will arrive there at most 2 hours
(guess) in real time. Image walking a sphere world in 2 hours real time! (and
faerun.com has a really big world.).

But if you don't make it sphere, players will think: "ok, this is a very big
sphere, it's impossible to cross this ocean" (in character), which better i
think. For example, you can make unknown lands klater, which are very very far
from the lands players start.

thanks,
Kerem HADIMLI
--