[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Raph Koster rkoster at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 18:43:46 CEST 2000

He calls them "cumulative character games", based on "pure unadulterated
capitalism." "The most persistent player wins."

>  If you want to achieve, you must play
> endlessly.  Maybe Timmy
> doesn't really want to play the game for 80 hours per week.
> Maybe Timmy just
> wants to achieve.  We help define achievment for Timmy by how we
> design the game.

Pretty much every flat fee company out there is trying to reduce average
hours lpayed per session and per week in their next games. As Gordon Walton
(ex of Kesmai and now running UO) put it to me, "UO is the perfect game for
an hourly fee scheme."