[MUD-Dev] Crafts Systems (was:Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO")

David Frank valen at vaultnetwork.com
Sat Jun 3 15:02:56 CEST 2000

--Phinehas wrote
> Since you never know what people will enjoy doing in a game, I don't think
that
> I'd automatically _prevent_ players from participation in any job.  I think it
> might be better to give them the choice to hire an NPC to do more mundane
tasks.
>  If you are starting out as a boot maker, tanning leather the first twenty
times
> might actually be interesting to you.  As you become more successful, however,
> the novelty will probably wear off.  If you are doing well enough, you could
be
> given the option to hire out an NPC to work as your tanner, similar to how you
> might hire an NPC vendor to sell your finished product.
>
> In this manner, farming pipeweed is available to those who are interested, but
> not required for those who are not.

I think we can all agree that giving people the option to do what they like most
is great, but is it always worth the time ( and money ) to implement?  If you
have 1000 PCs in your world and only 10 enjoy farming pipeweed, should you make
farming pipeweed an option?  It would make more sense to focus your attention on
features which a broader swipe of your population will enjoy.

Of course picking which options to include and which to exclude can be a
daunting task, but by observing other worlds and listening to players (and
taking into account what type of player is suggesting things) you should be able
to come reasonably close.

David Frank - "Valen"
Associate Editor, IGN Vault
http://rpgvault.ign.com