[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 3 23:15:03 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raph Koster" <rkoster at austin.rr.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2000 9:56 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

> Consider leaving in your time-consuming mechanics, as above, but put in
> other mechanics and forms of play that do not require time. For example,
> allow offline mass production for crafting skills, or ways of doing guild
> management via a website, etc. These will tend to drive down your average
> while leaving all the other mechanics intact and able to addict. Some
> players will play for these other mechanics exclusively, and even the
> addicted players will likely use them to some extent, reducing the time
> spent online. Some play sessions will consist entirely of doing these
brief
> activities.

I can guarantee that I would spend much less time playing UO then I do now
if such a system were in place.  It would probably greatly increase my
enjoyment of the game as well.  So much of my time is wasted by gathering
resources such as wood and ingots.  So little is spent doing what I really
enjoy, which is selling my goods and adventuring with my friends.  Not that
I macro, Raph, but I know you can get an average of 96 ingots per hour by
sitting in one spot (on a boat for some safety ;-p ).  If I could select
just one of my chars to do this activity while I'm offline...  Or I could
simply macro 24/7 to get the ingots, eating up your bandwidth, and causing
lag to some extent for every other player.

How much of UO's bandwidth was wasted by people macroing skills before (they
made macroing for skill fairly difficult now)?  The crafting skills in
particular, being so repetitive and boring...  Some limits would need to be
put in, so I don't log in one day, set the 7 skills I want to gain in, then
log in a week later to have those all GM'd (for those who don't know, Grand
Master, or 100 skill, is the highest level you can get any skill in UO, and
your limited to 700 skill points).

Could be interesting, but trying to get the right balance would be
difficult.

Batir,
Strat's & Stat's, UOSS
http://uo.stratics.com