[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 4 13:19:20 CEST 2000

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 03:20:01PM -0500, John Buehler wrote:
> Should there be time restrictions per day on the playing of these games?

No way.

If I want to escape from the "real world" by playing games 18 hours
a day during a fortnights annual leave, then I would find a game
that let me!

> Should casual gaming be enforced?

I believe that should be fully up to the player. I think if
you try and make all the decisions about someone elses life,
they won't learn to make their *own* decisions.

There are many more addictions more harmful than online games,
and if people don't learn to resist temptation themselves, they'll
likely fall foul of something more dangerous.

I think the most responsible thing would be to provide the
players with a way for *them* to control their playing.

Perhaps allow them to set their own time quotas (a week in
advance, say), or allow them to lock themselves out of the game
for up to a month at a time.

- Colin
--
Colin Coghill   ICQ#8108509 |