[MUD-Dev] Online actions and real-life religion

Jason Spangler stormwind at wombatgames.com
Wed Jun 7 12:26:10 CEST 2000

This article seemed entertaining considering the discussions on social
consequences that took place on the list.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2031648.html?tag=st.ne.ron.lthd.ni

The article basically states that a magazine with close ties to the Vatican says
that the church considers cyber-adultery a sin as much as real life adultery.

Sciortino, the priest who wrote the article, says that "virtual reality can be
just as much of a vice as reality made up of facts and actions,"  and "gospel
morals attach a premium to what is inside a person and are just as concerned
with bad thoughts as they are with bad actions".

One could extrapolate that they would consider player-killing bad too.  I can
imagine what Bob-the-PKer's next confession would sound like.  :-)

Perhaps there are some opportunities here for online games aimed at the mass
market that cater to specific religions by disallowing actions the religion
consider bad or making sure the players still have things to do in the game
without doing things in-game their religion considers wrong.

To me this is another indication that the net in general has gone mass-market.