Hidden identities. (was [MUD-Dev] (no subject))

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Thu Jun 8 14:11:34 CEST 2000

[Ola]
> Of course, an honourable player may have a secret dishonourable
> character... Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a very neat concept, I think.
> (I believe it is common, but some statistics on the phenomena would be
> interesting.)
    I can't offer any statistics, but I can certainly say that the majority
of the players I've been around do keep multiple characters each with
a different personality that they play depending on their mood.  I've also
seen players upset the playability of a MUD when not allowed to have
multiple characters with different identities.  They have to manifest all
identities in one character and that means having a single character that
performs too many different things placing them OOC and in very unrealistic
situations.  I once had a Bushi Wu Chen Ninja in AD&D, and that was fine
for me and my friends.  But when I played with the *professionals* they were
appalled because I was indeed OOC, I just wanted a good player to have fun
with though.

> I also wonder if one could conceive a system in which you were forced to
> play one good and one evil character and would need to make sure that
> nobody else found out that you controlled both (which could be achieved
> by enabling other people to permakill you if they find out).  I think
> this could provide a lot of dramatic tension... Especially if you made
> some aspects of the characters codependant (i.e. to cast a powerful
> spell they would have to stay close to eachother.)
    This would mean having to PLAY two characters simultaneously though.
In order to keep up the guise the two players would have to confront
one another.  Maybe even battle, or at least exchange words.  The idea
would be to have a MUD in which you must partner with another individual
before being able to play the game.  That other individual is then warped
to one end of the map, and you the other.  You have a special link, and if
anyone ever finds out your linked then you lose the game.  So the big trick
would be to find out who is buddied with who so you can destroy the two.
And yes, the super magic, is a good twist.

    - Justin Rogers, CEO DigiTec Web Consultants
    [COOP]DigiTec - Half-Life, Q3A, Unreal Tournament