[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Jun 9 21:26:24 CEST 2000

On Friday, June 9, 2000, Adam wrote:

> You can't tell someone what's fun for them, as we've discussed before.
> I have a bard guild that I threw in primarily for socializers.  There is
> a very simple mechanic for them to sing songs using an instrument.  The
> programming was quite simple; the prose I wrote for the songs themselves
> is horrible.  (Yes, it's possible to use your own lyrics, if you prefer.)
> A few of the songs have minor effects on their environment, such as making
> people sleepy (usually causing yawns, but ocasionally they will fall
asleep).

> People *loved* it.  After the mud opened, I got more compliments from that
> than anything else.  And it wasn't just socializers; one fellow OOC'd,
> "woah, who prorgammed bards?  THIS K1CK5 A55, DUD3!!"  At first I thought
> he was being flippant, but upon further investigation it turned out he
> was perfectly serious.
>
> You never know what players will enjoy.
>
> Adam

    Heh, I can completely resound with this one. I also coded a bard guild,
though ages ago. Recently I added the ability for the members to write their
own lyrics for their abilities. And it's gained a lot of praise.

    It seems that these little touches, things that don't increase the
Achiever abilities, appeal to a broad class of players. The greatest praises
I often receive are for things that seem insignificant, or minor, or just
little themey additions. And these come from all sorts of players.

    Does this mean that there is some meta-qualities beyond that of the
Achiever, Socializer, etc?

Rayzam
www.retromud.org