[MUD-Dev] Little Touches (was Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Sun Jun 11 13:18:51 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd McKimmey <rufus at wombatgames.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Saturday, June 10, 2000 2:04 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Little Touches (was Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the
bad and the Ugly)

>Thought this might be better suited to a thread of its own -- it might
>include a bit of the backstory thread as well though more of an ongoing
>history...
>
>Some players love 'the little touches' other players just ignore them...
>however they are definitely one of the few things that, in general, few if
>any players will reject or complain about. I've found on the few 'little
>touches' I've put into LegendMUD have been well received. Some examples
>currently in the running code:

    Hmmm....  This has been an area of some debate in Camelot.  Although
we're committed to combat-related Trade Skills, and to making Bardic
caster/melee hybrids, there's a sharp division in the discussion between
providing nonessentials for their RP and "fun" value, and focusing strictly
on fundamental game balance issues and leaving out the fluff.  Things like
Cooking, Baking, possibly letting the players set up a "Bardic Council" to
select MIDI's that bardic characters could play strictly for entertainment
value.

    Myself, I think the RP and "fiddling" factors, letting people do things
in the game that don't effect game balance just because they want to, is
worth a reasonable amount of time investment.  Not large amounts, but there
are a lot of little things that could be done without major investment of
resources.  But I'm having some trouble convincing the Powers That Be of
that.

--Dave Rickey