Backstory (was RE: [MUD-Dev] New poll)

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Sun Jun 11 14:31:48 CEST 2000

Yes, you're quite right. I try to forget that the 70's and 80's happened.
;)

Seriously though, the other factor there is going to be the rise of the
enormous multiplex theater in malls and whatnot, and home video where
length is less an issue. Digital film distribution will likely skew things
further once it passes through the initial technical limitations. I mean to
theaters and not directly to consumers though, as I see the theater
experience remaining important for as long as I'd care to predict.

> >Games are going to need 30-40 more years, again for
> >technological issues, but also so the form will be understood
> >well enough that it can be properly exploited.
> >
> >As far as games and storytelling goes, we're not far removed
> >from writing in cuneiform on clay tablets. We've got papyrus or perhaps
> >bamboo strips. We're not even close to western-style movable type, and
it's
> >going to be YEARS before we get a Tristram Shandy.

>     I'll agree with that, our technology, our understanding, and our
> audience all have not yet gained enough sophistication.  UO, EQ
> and AC may seem primitive as story-telling experiences, but for most
> of the people playing them it is the first example of it they've
> ever seen in this medium.

After my last spate of posts, I'm glad to be agreed with somewhere. ;)

One of the problems we have as game designers is that no matter how
sophisticated or progressive our ideas, if our audience isn't up to it, and
the hardware can't support it, all the smarts in the world don't make a
damn bit of difference.

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com