[MUD-Dev] Our player's keepers? (long)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 11 15:44:27 CEST 2000

> Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Brian Green wrote:
> > Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> > > I'm concerned with providing my users with an experience they want.
> > > If what they want is bad for them, that's their issue, not mine. I'm
> > > not daddy, and you know what, I don't know what's best for their
> > > lives.
> >
> > We must realize that the issue runs deeper than the problems of
> > individuals; it is a problem that affects others in the social
> > environment and a problem that will affect the industry through bad
> > press and negative perceptions.
>
> I really don't care if industry gets bad press and a negative perception.
> Text muds have never exactly been thought of well by the press to begin
> with, and since the industry mainly consists of the graphical games, I
> don't give a damn. No offence to those list-members working for Sony and
> EA, but I do not care what happens to Sony or EA.

Mmm.  For another interesting viewpoint, read Brian's post replacing
all occurances of 'industry' with 'hobby', 'professional' with 'amateur'.
Obviously that subverts the intentions, context and content of his post.
Yet I don't doubt many readers on the list might chaffe at the notion that
they aren't really "serious" contributers and participants in creating
online communities.

Some of us wouldn't (couldn't?) even consider working in the game industry
because we get compensated far better working in other industries.  And to
tell the truth the only way I, personally, would consider it is in the form
of an owner/operator like yourself.

Some of us view the genre as an extension of hobbies like FTF group roleplay
and LARP, not as a business.  And some of us are professional coders who look
at multi-user servers as interesting hobbies to test, express and explore
interesting concepts that we normally can't in our work.  Hmm... professional
programmers who code as a hobby too.  Maybe we enjoy our field more! ;-)

Perhaps some of us view _some_ of our players in the light that yes, we
are our player's keepers simply because we have the luxury of knowing quite
a bit more about them personally and have struck up casual friendships
with some of them.

For example, there is a mud which is still active today with around
40-60 players and had about 5 or 6 administrators.  One of the players
was a mother of three school age girls who played during the day in
between doing her business of taking care of her household and dropping
off and picking up her children from school.  One day, one of her
children was sick; sick enough I guess not to go out in the weather with
her mother to pick up the other two girls, but not quite sick enough or
old enough to not get into potential trouble or difficulty at home.
The mother created a character for the girl and logged her in.  I and a
few other wizards actually "baby sat" the girl for an hour by occupying
her attention through chatting with her about school and showing her
some of the more amusing areas and creatures on the mud.

Now one could certainly argue the wisdom and gall of the mother in
presuming to use a mud to provide temporary sitting services for a
child.  I most certainly would argue strongly against it.  However,
more important and revealing aspect was the social response of a troop
of wizards and a playerbase who understood they had an 8 year old in
their midst for whatever reason.  Often a small or medium size group of
mudders can display a cohesive culture and common level of civility that
far exceeds anything that could be reasonably expected from massively
large mud community.

So the answer to the question Brian posed, "Are we our player's keepers?"
is yes and no.  Sometimes we enjoy having certain players around enough
to become acutely aware of their absence or presence and the reasons
behind them.

Consider the Mud-dev Meta-list.  Don't even attempt to tell me your
meetings and dinners are solely for the purposes of professional
networking.  There's a strong possibility one of you might be tempted
to pass the baby pictures around, form close friendships, take a special
interest in locating a job for someone, maybe drive someone home who has
had one too many Killian Reds, etc.  All sorts of possibilities and
potential that might cause you to act as your brother's keeper. ;-)

And there's nothing at all wrong with that.  That is a necessary
feature of this thing called "community".

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--