[MUD-Dev] Narrative, quest design, and the solution of in-game problems

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Mon Jun 12 21:32:47 CEST 2000

On Thu 08 Jun, J C Lawrence wrote:

I snipped a lot of sensible remarks and comments to say the following
(not that I do not agree or disagree with any of the rest, I just see
too much to say to that to be comfortable with.  It would require too
much time and disc space ;)

> I think adventure games should be just that: games about
> adventures. They should give the player a sense of achievement and
> accomplishment. They're about doing, making a difference.

This is also the most difficult thing about making a interactive game.
If we are talking about multi-player games it becomes next to impossi-
ble.  Setting up an interactive story about one hero is difficult, but
imagine the complications of having two heroes at the same time.

> This does
> not mean that they have to be shooters or twitch games, only that
> the player and her actions are the most important things in the
> game. In computer gaming, you subordinate the player to the plot at
> your peril.

Actually, I think the player will forgive the game writer to a certain
extent.  They want to be entertained by the game,  and understand that
they need to sacrifice some of their freedom to the story.

> It's not our job to tell stories. It's our job to build worlds in
> which players can live a story of their own creation.

This is quite different from what was said before, but seems to be the
direction in which multi-player interactive games can be developed. By
creating a rich environment  in which players can "live" their charac-
ters you, as a game developer, can create interactive stories. However
you, as a writer, will have to sacrifice quite a bit of control to the
player...

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,