[MUD-Dev] Remote client connection

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Fri Jun 16 17:52:33 CEST 2000

Kyle Leithoff
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 4:42 PM

>Rather than have a character removed to storage when a player logs out,
>would it be feasible to allow updates to be sent via a pager or cell
>phone of what's happening to a character, then allow that player to
>modify the characters behaviour through the cell phone?  I guess working
>somewhat like stock trading and the updates you can receive now.

This is like having stock changes reported to you on your phone and such.
The people that I've talked to who have this feature available to them
quickly tire of it.  It would only appeal to the hardcore types - who I
hope are going to become a niche market in the future of the massively
multiplayer games.

But I'm becoming a believer in persistent characters.  I believe that
something that would be valuable for persistent characters would be to
receive updates about the character's experiences via email.  This
might be done anywhere from multiple times a day to once every few
days.  Significant events would be defined by the player, with a
reasonable default or set of defaults being supplied by the game.

What would be the significant events, you ask?  To tackle that, we'd
have to talk about the formation of the world and how characters are
modeled.

Persistent characters could also be managed using a lightweight client.
Imagine a text MUD interface for even a graphical game.  All command
interactions and feedback.  The information flowing back and forth
between the client the server can be rendered in a variety of ways,
with an 'immersive' graphical client not necessarily being the best
for what a given player is trying to accomplish.

JB