[MUD-Dev] Remote client connection

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 16 22:44:48 CEST 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Kyle Leithoff wrote:

> Is this something which could be used to make a world more persistent?
> Rather than have a character removed to storage when a player logs out,
> would it be feasible to allow updates to be sent via a pager or cell
> phone of what's happening to a character, then allow that player to
> modify the characters behaviour through the cell phone?  I guess working
> somewhat like stock trading and the updates you can receive now.
>
> Would this be something that you'd want to do?  Would the added
> resources to support this outweigh the niftyness of the feature?  This,
> from what I can see, would only add to the average connection time of
> players.

Well, remember that the average connection time of players IS the biggest
user of added resources, as bandwidth is the biggest ongoing cost to a big
game.

I'm sure some people (pokes you "social responsibility" types) would
probably object to this too, as it allows players to spend even more of
their lives being in your world. I think it'd be cool, though I don't see
myself adding this sort of capability to Achaea ever.

--matt