[MUD-Dev] Games vs. simulations

F. Randall Farmer randy at communities.com
Tue Jun 20 10:01:17 CEST 2000

Ages ago (June 14th), Dmitri Zagidulin said:
> Does anyone know of any examples of text-based muds with non-room based
> location systems?

SPB, short for SPace Battle, the first multiuser game world I ever
built (co-authored back in 1977...) was text only, but used 3D
coordinates. You know the type: Federation Starships, Klingon Battle
Cruisers, and Romulan Warbirds.

Back then text was mandatory. And, the game was aimed at High School
Geeks, like me, so 3D was the only way to go. [It tested our trig
skills to code it at the time...] The "other" trek games were all
"room" based, where the rooms were called "sectors". :-)

[I actually have a 4th generation server still operational, maintained
by a small community of fans. Last year the person who maintains the
code made it Open Source. It's still 100% text based, but now it has
built in help... There is a server up, and you can access it via:
http://members.xoom.com/SPBHost It is designed to be a multiplayer
game, but the solo mode (finding and blowing up enemy bases) is
good for training. Be gentle with any reviews. The game is an
antique, designed by naive high school boys in the 70s. :-) ]

Randy