[MUD-Dev] Remote client connection

Lurn at missing.domain Lurn at missing.domain
Wed Jun 21 08:44:59 CEST 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed auther is actually the author.
--<cut>--

>   Try this on for size: that as you advance in skill, you don\'t advance in
> personal power.  You don\'t go from a child with a pointed stick to superman
> with a nuclear weapon.  You go from a novice swordsman to an experienced
> swordsman.  Your hit points don\'t go up.  You remain as mortal as always,
> and your personal power level (ability to kill others) doesn\'t go up nearly
> as dramatically as in EverQuest.  Instead of a 50:1 power ratio as you
> advance to the pinnacle of accomplishment, you only advance perhaps 3:1.

  That may be attractive for some aspects of PC to PC interaction, but what holds a players interest in the long term?  If, say, 5 is a reasonable party size, then does it follow that 15 newbie-level characters can visit the most dangerous areas in as much safety as the 5 experienced and equipped adventurers?
  It may be realistic to have this be the case, but is it \'fun\'?

  Given that it is, after all, a game, most players like to feel rewarded in some fashion as they play.  What do you propose to offer players as a continuing challenge?  Socializers may be happy in a system like this, but Explorers, Achievers, and Killers like to feel like they\'ve accomplished something after a gaming session- knowledge, items, meaningful points, etc.

  Any meaningful form of advancement translates somehow into in-game power except on a pure talker.  \'levels\' or the equivalent, money, political position, etc., will all have effects on PC-PC interaction if they\'re significant.  It seems that you\'d have to effectively eliminate all of these forms of advancement beyond your 3 to 1 ratio.

  I\'m reminded of the occasionally suggested systems in which there are no persistent PC\'s as such; players logging in simply select from the currently unplayed roles available.

-Lurn