[MUD-Dev] Remote client connection

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Jun 23 09:01:34 CEST 2000

JC said:
> I argue that one of the prime values in a MUD, and this is the thing
> which elevats it in various essential fashions, is that the player
> is continually confronted with the question, "What shall I do now?"
> and there is nothing and nobody to tell him that answer but him.

Actually, I think that this question can be taken too far.  There comes a point
when I feel like I am entertaining myself and that's not necessarily what I'm
looking for in a MUD.  I think that the designer should present the player with
plenty of choices, but I also think that it is up to the designer to make sure
that the choices are not too arbitrary.  The game should not remain silent when
I ask, "What shall I do now?"  But neither should it scream back a single
response.  And I'd certainly like to see more flexibility in *how* I can go
about reaching the goals which the game presents to me.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."