[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Jeremy Hovance jhovance at cscc.edu
Sat Jun 24 15:45:39 CEST 2000

--- Jeff Freeman <SkeptAck at antisocial.com> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:24:32 -0500
> From: Jeff Freeman <SkeptAck at antisocial.com>
> To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
> Subject: [MUD-Dev] Free Speech
>=20
> I just received this email from a player (references to WoD, that's us).
  [snip]
> asked those players not to do that there.  I don't even know how to =
respond
> to this.  Mind, we ARE a private MUD.  When we accept new users, they =
apply
> and only after their application is accepted are they allowed online.  =
This
> is baffling.
>=20
> Anyway... comments?  I'd tell him I reserve the right to ban people for
> ticking me off, but somehow I don't think he'll accept that.
>=20
A private Application-only MU* is not the same as a public sidewalk or =
privately owned mining town. It is more akin to a gated restricted-access =
community or military base, since the public is required to show reason =
for access (an application) before allowed access. A sidewalk does not.