[MUD-Dev] Reach out and bitch at someone

jolson at micron.net jolson at micron.net
Thu Jun 29 10:32:41 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Green <brian at psychochild.org>
> Here's something I've been wondering for a while.  Why do players feel
> it is acceptable to abuse administrators of MUDs?

The same reason people are often more rude on the telephone than in
face-to-face conversation.  The less natural feedback (facial
expressions, voice timbre, body language...) available about a person's
emotions and attitude, the harder it is to identify with them as a
fellow human being and perceive an accurate representation of what
they're communicating and how they're communicating it.

It also has a lot to do with the nature of the service.  Just as some
RL customer service positions are easier to handle than others,  MUDs
are a loaded environment.  More below.

> In many player complaints, they always seem to throw out the
> phrase "I
> pay for this" or "I pay your salary!" when they talk to administrators
> and CS representatives of commercial games.  This perplexes me,
> becauseyou rarely see this happening with sane people in other
> situations.

It seems to me that the "I pay your salary" tactic is a desperate
attempt to make someone care about the situation when they apparently
do not.

> If I read a novel that I didn't like, I don't contact the author and
> say, "Look, buddy, I didn't like that book of yours.  I bought it, so
> I'm paying your salary.  Next time, you better darn well write a book
> *I* do like!"

You might if the jacket promised a rich, engrossing, and rewarding
interactive story, but upon getting into the book you found it rife
with grammatical errors, misprinted pages, and the literary equivalent
of "See spot run."

> If I were to run up to a McDonald's employee and
> yell, "I
> ASKED FOR EXTRA PICKLES.  GO BACK THERE AND BRING BACK EXTRA PICKLES,
> BEEYOTCH!!!!1!!" my friends would have a special name for me:
> "asshole".

You might if you had spent weeks and months of your free time paying
McDonald's for the privelege of lovingly crafting and building this
sandwich, and then finally having it mucked up by what appeared to be a
careless error by a blank-faced employee.

> Why is this?  Is it because of the relatively easy access to company
> spokespeople/developers?  Is it because of the time and money
> investmentthat players feel they need to make?  Is it because
> online anonymity
> provides a buffer to be more rude to others?

A little.  But it's largely because we so often "promise" that which we
cannot realistically provide.  When someone pays to interact with a
virtual world, there is an implicit expectation that his progress and
accomplishments in that world will be preserved.  Whether it is
explicitly promised or not, players believe that their achievements
should and will be protected within the scope of the game rules.  But
very frequently in virtual environments, whether it's due to bugs,
design flaws, or other players, those expecations are not met.

Recall the recent uproar in EQ where Verant player wiped their test
server.  Yes it was a test server, and yes Verant had maintained for
more than a year that they could wipe it at any time, but players were
still extremely upset.  It hadn't been wiped in the 15 months of its
operation, and they had come to expect that it never would be, despite
evidence to the contrary.  I've heard people pronounce that the players
should have known it was coming and therefore deserved to lose 15
months of character building.  My opinion is that no (rules-abiding)
paying customer deserves that kind of detriment.

-Josh