[MUD-Dev] randomly dropped connections

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Mar 3 10:22:35 CET 2000

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:40:32 -0700
cg  <cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

> Another way would be to put some kind of network tester box
> between your host machine and the network connection.

All you need to do here is put the interface into promiscuous mode
and then log the packets (FWIW one of the more common ways of
grabbing other people's passwords).  Common tools enclude snoop
(Solaris), tcpdump (Linux), iptraf, ethereal, pcap, and a large host
of others (see freshmeat).  I typically use iptraf and ethereal
here, with one of the libpcap based tools if I need extensive
logging or replay (been a while, forget which one I use).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu