[MUD-Dev] MUD timeline

Dr Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 08:39:37 CET 2000

Daniel James [dan at sensei.co.uk] writes:

>I am by no means sure, but I was always under the impression
>that British Legends was consistently MUD1.
That's correct. CompuServe had DEC-10s and that's what MUD1
ran under, although it took a couple of days to make it work with
their own home-grown version of TOPS-20 (which changed all the
major monitor calls for output so that none of them worked!).

>MUD2 certainly launched in the UK as a stand-alone dialup
>service operated by British Telecom. I can't recall the year. Richard?
According to http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/incarns.htm it was
1985, but that was just when I began writing it. I think it wasn't
until 1986 that it went live.

Richard

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu