[MUD-Dev] javascript

cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
Mon Mar 13 08:20:53 CET 2000

[Ola Fosheim:]

> I don't know much about the features available with dhtml and javascript
> in current browsers.  What I do know is that I appreciate the instant
> availability that end users experience.
>
> Do you know of a javascript based mud client?
> What are the limitations and gotchas?
>
> How much work would it take to write a graphical mud client of BSX
> simplicity using javascript as found in the current Netscape and MIE
> browsers?

Why JavaScript (Active Scripting, to MS folks) rather than straight Java?
Java would run faster for anything needed on the client side, and at least
has a security model. That could lead to more people being content to
run it. I know I refuse to run JavaScript in my browser, but could be
convinced to run Java in it for a good cause. Also, with Java, you can
make your stuff run as either an Applet in a browser, or as a standalone
Java application.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/