[MUD-Dev] javascript

Mon Mar 13 21:38:39 CET 2000

Bruce wrote:
> Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> > How much work would it take to write a graphical mud client of BSX
> > simplicity using javascript as found in the current Netscape and MIE
> > browsers?
>=20
> This is a more interesting proposition (to me), were it to be using
> Mozilla.  Robert Ginda created a JavaScript IRC client.  You can view

Interesting.  But, only technically skilled people use Mozilla, so that
option has little advantage over c++/opengl/gtk/xlib/whatever. :-(=20
Unless you have some persuasive argument up your sleeve?

It would be interesting to make a prototype with Mozilla if one could
find a subset that could be implemented with the latest (or forthcoming)
MIE browsers as well.  Any thoughts, anyone? I'm afraid I am rather
ignorant when it comes to the capabilities of MIE...

> It doesn't look the best, but it works and is all JavaScript and XUL (a=
> XML dialect for describing user interfaces).

Is MIE going for XUL?

> Check out a nightly or milestone build of  Mozilla.

Yes sirrr, my weak modem link is contaminated with the thing right
now...

> With current browsers, you'll have to resort to somewhat of a hack to
> get at data from the network.

I was hoping that one could do something "clever" with http... :/

Ola.