[MUD-Dev] Object and class heirarchies -- are they really necessary?

Phillip Lenhardt philen at funky.monkey.org
Wed Mar 22 01:01:33 CET 2000

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 03:57:25PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> True.  That was one of the sources of the design requirement for
> Murkle that features must be programmable without requiring source
> access to any other objects.

No matter how many times I read this design requirement--and it has been
many: I have read and reread nearly every thread in the archive in which
it appears--I always come to the conclusion that it is either tautological
or trivially false. Since both those conclusions seem unlikely candidates
for what you mean, I was wondering if you could clarify.

I read your design requirement either as:

	"Any object must be able to affect any other object without
	 changing that other object."

which is obviously my trivially false reading :) Or I read it as:

	"Any object must be able to affect itself without changing
	 any other object."

which is my tautological reading.