[MUD-Dev] Gamasutra: Online Justice Systems

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed Mar 22 16:47:17 CET 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:54:01 -0500 (EST)
Vijay Weasel Prabhakar <weasel at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Draymoor wrote:
>> Couldn't you have the client check the computer for multiple
>> characters?  Then you would nead another ISP, Credit Card, AND
>> computer. Sure, it doesn't solve the problem, but it does make it
>> harder to get arround the rule.

> You could do that, but it won't be that hard to get a different
> computer as well.

A simple case in point:

  Grab a Linux box, install VMWare, and then run multiple instances
  of the client each in its won virtual machine sandbox.

I think it's safe to assume that you can never absolutely prevent
multiplaying.  The best you can do is to discourage it.  How much
you discourage it, and how much you interfere with non-multiplaying
players in that process (and how many leave because of it), is a
design decision.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...