[MUD-Dev] Gamasutra: Online Justice Systems

Draymoor fibhufky at erols.com
Fri Mar 24 08:44:06 CET 2000

From: Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag at ifi.uio.no>
>That said, I favour the idea that you can have as many simultaneous
>characters as you want (with some sanity checks/mechanisms).  I find
>multiple embodiment both fascinating and useful.  Tired of waiting for
>someone or something?  Just hit the <tab> key and switch to another
>place and another body.  You might even allow your friends to borrow
>your bodies, or you might share the fireproof body with your guild, or
>there might be bodies that would benefit from being controlled by
>multiple people (like a tank).

All the examples you cite are technichly valid (from a non-biased point of
view), but they don't work for a heavy RP mud. If you have a total PK mud or
something like that, then multiple characters might be usefull. IMHO,
however, in a Heavy RP mud, the only way you would have to wait for someone
to come on would be if there isn't anyone within a hundred mile (mud-wise)
radius of yourself to interact with.

I can't see any pluses to having multiple characters on an RP mud, except
the multiple persona's it brings, and that looks like the whole point of the
thread (Multiple Personas = less responsibility), ne?

-Philip Loguinov