[MUD-Dev] Online Justice Systems (response to J C)

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Mon Mar 27 15:24:06 CEST 2000

Writing as list owner:

  There's been some traffic off-list on this area, so I'll expand a
little on what I'm looking for here:

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:11:42 -0500
scott guzman <shade2x at writeme.com> wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly <diablo at best.com> wrote:
>> You were banned for repeatedly...

> J C Lawrence responded:
>> Writing as list owner:
>>
>> This thread has the potential for getting personal.  Let's keep
>> away from that aspect.

> This thread -is- personal, but has a whole lot of potential value
> as a topic.

Writing as list owner:

  I agree.

> Yes, Matthew is saying that he was justified; I'd like to attempt
> to show that he wasn't and in the process, attempt to show that
> certain practices when thinking of banning someone are detrimental
> to the health of a mud.

  I understand your intent and am willing to allow that aspect of
the thread as long as the following remain true:

    -- No he_said/she_said.

    -- No I'm_right/You're_wrong.

    -- No egos/personalities ala: "But it wasn't fair!", "He doesn't
       like me!"

  I have no problem with using this case for a sample dissection.
My concern is signal, both short term for this thread, and long term
in the effects it will have on future threads.

> So yes, it's personal, but I think that that shouldn't detract
> from the fact that this is a conversation that would greatly
> benefit mud-dev. I hope you'll agree..

  Certainly, but with the above caveats.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...