[MUD-Dev] Gamasutra: Online Justice Systems

Tue Mar 28 21:21:05 CEST 2000

John Bertoglio wrote:
> > From: Matthew Mihaly

> > All you do with a system like that is make
> > it easier on the people willing to go to greater lengths, because you
> > create the presumption that no one is multi-playing, thus providing
> > excelelnt cover for those who are multi-playing.
> >
> > --matt
>
> ...which suggest a potential online "law": "The better job a system does of
> suppressing behavior which provides unfair advantages, the more desirable it
> will be for players to find ways to defeat the system. "

I think what Matt said was more like "you find what you look for".

Kinda like gender bending, if you find gender bending unthinkable and
you've never heard of it, then you'll be fooled at the first corner.
Classic response when (young) people realize that they have been mislead
is: "But WHY did you do it??", as if it was an evil, destructive and
unthinkable act aiming at destroying their self-respect (rubbing their
noses). (Some teenagers have a very good upbringing and are equally
gullible... ;^)

> "The more difficult it is to gain an advantage in an online world, the more
> valuable it will be once obtained."

I think you forgot visibility (to perceived peers).  Hitler did win,
because he made himself as visible as Nero and all the other great men
(most of them nasty).

> "The more valuable the advantage, the greater the effort to obtain it."

Never thought of that...

Ola.