[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.mudservices.com
Wed Mar 29 01:45:01 CEST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Wes Connell wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>
> > Sorry to sound cold, but I don't care. Our tolerance for newbie
> > troublemakers is just about 0. If we view you as detracting from the
> > business more than you contribute, whether directly or indirectly, we will
> > ban you. It's quite easy not to get banned, as demonstrated by the fact
> > that we've only got 15 banned ip addresses, and most of them are high
> > schools (which I ban at the first hint of pain-in-the-assness).
>
> Sorta off-topic...just curious about something.
>
> Would you tolerate the higher level or higher paying customer a little
> more? I would think so...

Oh yes, definitely. Howver, any customer can go too far. We've only ever
effectively banned (I turned them into shrubs) two serious customers.

> For the pay muds: Maybe a channel or some mechanism for getting their
> voice out to the public could be added to their charges.
> Example: A high level character has a view that he wants expressed to the
> other players. If the topic were somewhat hairy then the character would
> think twice about expressing his idea for fear of being banned. Let the
> character buy expensive airtime on a public channel with a guarantee of
> not being censored. If the cost of the airtime is enough it could actually
> add to the business instead of detracting.

I can't ever really guarantee a player the ability to say anything he
wants. For instance, no player would be allowed to use a public channel to
express homophobic or racist views.

--matt