[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Mordengaard mordengaard at redhotant.com
Wed May 3 10:21:16 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Phillip Lenhardt <philen at monkey.org>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Alignment

> On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 02:27:57AM +1000, Malcolm Valentine wrote:
> > Paul Schwanz wrote:
> > > Solution #29863:  Use the wonderful properties of multiplying signed
> > > integers. Killing is evil (-).   Killing is _very_ evil (-5).  Dragon
is
> > > evil (-).  Dragon is _quite_ evil (-3).  Princess is _very_ good (+5).
> > > Killing the dragon is now _extremely_ good (-5 * -3 = +15), but
killing
> > > the princess is _supremely_ evil (-5 * +5 = -25).
> >
> >   Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right. Even worse, if I do a
good
> > deed (+) to an evil creature (-), that counts as evil-doing...
>
> I'm not sure what case you are covering by "two wrongs don't make a
right.",
> but I for one have no problem with helping an evil creature being an evil
> deed. Why would healing a demon while it is battling a paladin be a good
deed?

And yet, there are many cases in fantasy when the young hero(ine) helps the
evil adversary in their hour of need, remaining pure themselves while
reducing the emnity of their enemy... for at least a chapter or two.  I
agree that if someone aids the demon while the paladin is trying to defeat
it, then their actions are evil, but shouldn't there be some scope for mercy
(a "good" quality if ever there was one) outside of combat?

Mordengaard

P.S.  Incidentally, thanks for all the feedback on this subject, when I
started it off I hadn't realised there were so many angles to consider!