[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Wed May 3 16:40:21 CEST 2000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 10:21:16AM +0100, Mordengaard wrote:

> [...]

I would say that the hero(ine) does weigh their soul down with evil through
actions helping the villian. But the ultimate act of harming the villian
takes the evil off.

I lean heavily towards algorithmic analysis of a character's intentions being
an impossible task. So I favor the implementation of morality being as
mechanical as combat or physics is. For special cases, a character could
perhaps appeal to an immortal, who can be as capable of bending the moral
laws of the universe as she is of bending the physical laws of the universe.

Also, the fact a good deed done for an evil creature is an evil act has a
certain tragic appeal to me. After all, greek tragedy is full of situations
of just this sort (Oedipus, Heracles, etc).